Wednesday 2 December 2009

Sixty Days in Suisse - Part VIII

Waiters, Wine and Winnings

Julien from Secret Story

After the restful and stress-free previous week, my eighth Swiss week was a bit more active.

Aside from a bit more job searching, we also headed out for a meal with Chris’ friends Anne-Marie and Kelly at a Tapas restaurant called “Chez Mathilde”, that is owned and run by a guy who was in the French version of Big Brother (“Secret Story”) a couple of years ago.

I did a bit of research and it looks like this bloke, Julien Colas, made it to week 5 of the show in 2007 before he was evicted. I guess being a reality TV show failure pays well if he managed to buy his own restaurant.

Anyway, the food at the restaurant was ok – I don’t think I would go back there any time soon. I took a few tapas dishes, and considering how much I paid (33 CHF) I really didn’t think it was worth the money.

The evening itself was good though, with good company and a trip to a bar for a bit of salsa dancing afterwards. Admittedly I am a rubbish dancer – I lost count of the number of times I stood on Chris’ feet – but managed to stop myself from whipping out the Moonwalk as I didn’t want to look like a complete idiot.

I spent the next day doing a bit more job hunting, and in the evening we went round to Chris’ friend Melanie’s boyfriend Raymond’s apartment for dinner. They served up a nice mustard-flavoured chicken pasta and salad – very nice, two thumbs up. We chatted and joked throughout the evening, and generally had a very enjoyable time.

At the weekend Chris and I headed over to Montreux to have a look at the Christmas Market, which began this week. Lots of little wooden chalets selling various crafted items like soaps, sweets and knick-knacks awaited us, all lined up alongside the town’s famous lakeside.

As we drank mulled wine and strolled through the market, I received a phone call from my friend Andy, who calmly informed me that his girlfriend, Sandra, was pregnant and he was going to be a dad. At first I thought he was joking, but after a moment the news sunk in and I realised my good friend, affectionately nicknamed “Caveman”, was going to be a father in the near future. With me now being married and Andy having a son or daughter, this year has shown that my group of friends are really starting to grow up and behave like responsible adults. Well, there’s always Adam and Dave to keep us young with their crazy antics!

Anyway, I couldn’t be happier for Andy as I’m sure he’ll make a great dad – I even felt a pang of jealousy that he would soon get to go through all the motions of the pregnancy and eventual birth, before then having a son or daughter to boss around (isn’t that what they are for?). Congratulations Andy and Sandra, I’m really happy for you both.

With Andy’s great news still fresh in my mind, Sunday rolled round and presented another opportunity to test my luck at the lotto, this time in Lucens. It was a bit cheaper than St. Prex, with a charge of 15.- CHF per card, and all the winnings would be given in the form of vouchers for either Migros or the Coop (the two biggest supermarket chains here).

Having sat through twenty series of lotto without winning anything, my luck finally turned as I got a “QUINE”, one complete row on my card. That netted me 40.- CHF in vouchers for Migros, so recovered the money I spent to actually play (30.- CHF for two cards). Unfortunately my lotto companions Chris and Nelly didn’t win anything, and didn’t even come close to doing so. My “Lotto Luck” continues, I now have stats that show a 75% win rate – none too shabby if you ask me.

The blogging saga concludes with the final chapter, "Sixty Days in Suisse - Part IX"!

No comments: