Tuesday 17 September 2013

Egg & Soldiers

It's a simple yet classic British dish, that requires very little culinary skill but still delivers a tasty result. There are only a couple of ingredients and the whole thing can be ready in 5 minutes.

The dish in question?

Egg and soldiers.

Strips of toasted bread that you dip into a boiled egg. Simple, yet delicious. This was a cherished childhood memory for me, as I fondly remember having egg and soldiers as an occasional lunchtime treat.

Following on from my desire to make sure I pass on my heritage to my daughter (see "Instilling Britishness") I decided to make this for Lydia for the very first time. As you can see from the photos, she liked it!


She finished off the whole egg and all her soldiers, and she seemed to enjoy every bite.

An easy meal to make that children really love - if you are stuck for ideas and don't have much else in the fridge / cupboard than egg, butter and bread, you can't go wrong with egg and soldiers!

No comments: