Tuesday 4 September 2012

I wanna be like you (ooh-ooh)

Did that make you think about Disney's The Jungle Book, with King Louie singing his orangutan heart out?

This article isn't about the animated classic though. Instead, it's about how kids want to copy those around them, particularly their parents. They learn through imitating others, so it's only natural that they want to do what we do.

Recently, for example, Lydia wanted to read a book that she found in a cupboard. The book in question was actually a paper-back recipe book, so not really something she would find interesting. Nevertheless, we read it together. I noticed that every time Lydia went to turn the page, she would lick her finger. Neither I nor my wife do this, so I can only presume she picks this up from her grandparents during a recent stay at their house. Quite a surprise to see she had learnt that as it isn't something you really teach a kid to do.

Grocery shopping
Another recent example was when I took her to the supermarket the other day to buy groceries. I picked up a basket and went inside with Lydia only for her to start complaining about something.

I asked her what was wrong and she pointed at the big pile of shopping baskets. It turns out that she wanted her own basket to carry, having seen us and other adults do this many times in the past, and not wanting to miss out on the fun.

I thought this was really cute, although I had to help her choose what to put in her basket (she immediately went for the chocolate aisle!).

I know everyone tells me that kids grow up too fast, and that's a saying that I believe rings true. My daughter is only 16 months old but wants to do things she sees adults doing. It's no wonder young girls want to wear makeup, as they no doubt want to copy their mothers.

Wonder how long it will be before Lydia wants to watch football and drink beer like her Dad?

No comments: