Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Run Forrest, Run!

On Tuesday 8th October I ran the furthest I have ever run in my life.

I managed 10.2km in 1 hour 17 minutes, which included some pretty tough inclines. I'm not someone who is particularly fit, given that I rarely do any exercise, so for me this was quite a tremendous feat.

Back in May this year I bought myself a new pair of trainers, having decided after two jogs in April that I ought to replace my 10 year old pair that were falling apart. The plan was to jog two or three times a week, to build up some fitness and generally be healthier (it's important for me to make sure I'm around - and mobile - as Lydia grows up).

Unfortunately, I didn't really keep it up.

My new trainers stayed in their box until early July, when I managed to go for two jogs in the space of two weeks. After that, summer got in the way and I kind of forgot about exercising (save for one game of squash in September).

Following one or two jibes from my wife, I decided to start again in October, and have now managed two jogs in two weeks again, including the personal record-breaking 10km run. Truth be told, that run took it's toll on my legs, as by the end of the run I could barely feel them or my feet. Strangely I felt as though I could have run further as I still seemed to have some energy and breath left in me, but my legs gave out on me.

It took a few days to recover before I was walking normally again! I followed this run up with a 6km jog a week later, although I think I didn't stretch properly as my right calf was pretty sore during (and after) this run. Despite this, it was still my fastest 5km ever.

That night I had a scratchy throat, which slowly evolved into a full blown head cold over the next couple of days. I'm still suffering today so I don't think I will be able to make it three consecutive Tuesday jogs. I might have to delay to tomorrow, see if I'm feeling better.

Given my past uselessness on the willpower front, I am determined to make it work this time. If I can at least manage one jog per week that will be a good start. Then I can slowly crank it up to the two/three per week that I am aiming for.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point, and it remains to be seen how well I hold out during the cold winter months... that will be the real test of my willpower! Thinking ahead, I don't know how people manage to jog on the extremely cold winter days with icy roads...?

1 comment:

Nepal Trekking said...

Trekking in Nepal and tours operative company Acute Trek Pvt. Ltd. from Nepal takes you that further way to guarantee you has an unforgettable adventure that you have been dream of. Benefit, of course there is the Acute Trek part of choice. We have your choose Nepal Trekking in Treks Himalaya for 3 days or 30 or more days it depending of your timetable, sleep under lodges or tent. Trekking in Himalaya is an attempt to encourage Nepal to the exterior world while striving to defend an aged tradition as well as conserve the surroundings for generation to come for Hiking in Nepal. Adventure Trekking in Nepal Trekking in Himalaya Everest Base Camp Trek Nepal Tours Hiking in Nepal Trek in Nepal Nepal Holiday Annapurna Trekking Everest Trekking Langtang Trekking Everest Base Camp Trek Annapurna Base Camp Trek Upper Mustang Trekking Helicopter Tour in Nepal Nepal Helicopter Tour Kathmandu Pokhra Tour Peak Climbing in Nepal Nepal Peak Climbing Nepal Peak Climbing Tea House Trek in Nepal High Pass Trekking in Nepal Everest Helicopter Trekking Island Peak Climbing Holiday Hiking Nepal Hiking Nepal Hiking Holiday Hiking Tours in Nepal Holiday Hiking Tours